Supervises staff and work load in assigned, specialized shop/section of the department to ensure a safe and efficient operation.
Responsibilities: A listing of the key responsibilities
- Supervises day-to-day activities of Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians.
- Helps to hire, train and evaluate Pharmacy Department staff.
- Schedules staff and ensures appropriate staff coverage.
- Assists in the development and administration of departmental policies and procedures.
- May prepare and dispense medication orders per physician request by interpreting and evaluating medication orders and transcribe to computerized patient medication profiles. Maintain medication profiles.
- Ensures safe, appropriate, cost effective medication therapies for patients. Monitors medication therapy by assessment of:
- Therapeutic appropriateness of the regimen (e.g. indication for use, drug selection, dosage).
- Therapeutic duplication of the regimen.
- Appropriateness of the route and method of administration.
- Patient compliance with the regimen.
- Medication/medication, medication/food, medication/laboratory test, and medication/disease interactions.
- Clinical and laboratory data to evaluate the efficacy of therapy and to anticipate toxicity and adverse effects.
- Physical signs and clinical symptoms relevant to therapy.
- Provides accurate, adequate, and timely drug information to the professional staff.
- Assists in discharge planning. Counsels patient/families concerning proper drug administration, potential drug side effects and precautions, and discharge medication orders. Helps locate medication supplies not generally available.
- Documents all clinical activities and interventions.
Pharmacist Supervisor – Medication Procurement and Distributive Services
- Supervise day to day operations to ensure adequate medication procurement and safe and efficient medication distribution
- Provide local oversight of inventory management to ensure adequate availability of medications and troubleshoot issues
- Communicate local impact of inventory changes with pharmacy staff, providers and nursing as appropriate
- Participate in medication shortage management process including but not limited to development of management strategies, entry of alternative alerts in the EHR and communication to pharmacy staff and stakeholders
- Contribute to and validate the build of formulary or inventory changes in the electronic health record (EHR)
- Collaborate with the Central Pharmacy Supply manager to support medication distribution to clinics
- Develop, optimize and monitor pharmacist and technician workflows for the medication distribution process
- Develop and enhance communication between various pharmacy practice areas and shifts to optimize pharmacy services
- Develop and report quality and productivity metrics
- Adjust workflows and provide support as needed with fluctuating demand and resources
- Minimize waste and engage in process improvement
- Hold staff accountable to and ensure compliance with NH Board of Pharmacy regulations, Joint Commission, CMS and other standards or regulations as applicable
- Collaborate with pharmacy leadership to develop training, education, and competency assessment materials for area of responsibility
- Assess and document staff competency
- Provide opportunities for staff to advance their skills and contribute to practices in the pharmacy (e.g. projects, new implementations, Policy & Procedure development and review
- Monitor staff compliance with policies and procedures
- Coordinate the identification, communication and resolution of problems relating to daily operational activities
- Monitor and respond to daily error reports and attend hospital-wide Daily Safety Huddle on an as needed basis
- Collaborate with supervisory colleagues to
- Staff central or decentral pharmacy services as needed to support medication distribution and pharmacy services
- Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy 3 years’ experience as a Pharmacist.
- Graduate of an ACPE accredited school of Pharmacy with 3 years of health care system experience (of which 1 must be pharmacy supervisory experience), or the equivalent required.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and possess the ability to set priorities and make critical decision.
- Effective problem solving, and change management abilities desired.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, as well as demonstrated interpersonal and team skills essential.
Required Licensure/Certification Skills:Current Pharmacist licensure.